The Swiss-African Business Circle (SABC) has launched a series of Peer-to-Peer events, to build and grow Swiss-African communities around specific sectors. The first of the events will take off on 30 March 2021 with AGRIBUSINESS
The 2021 Peer-to-Peer events will feature Agribusiness and Infrastructure, each event will bring together around 100 participants (representatives of companies, institutions, and government departments) with activities on the African continent and a link to Switzerland.
The topic for this first event is: Reimagining agribusiness on the African continent: What will boost productivity?
Africa holds 65% of arable land globally, and 52% of the continent’s population are employed in the agribusiness sector. It is inevitable that agriculture will play a decisive role in the growth of the African economy. Despite this agricultural potential, the African continent currently remains a net importer of food.
However, new opportunities are emerging that can increase productivity with a focus on value addition. Evolving technologies and platforms, novel partnerships, supply chain optimization as well as innovative solutions in logistics management and infrastructure are all contributing to the transformation of the sector in Africa. The move toward greater regional integration, through the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), opens new possibilities for agribusiness players on the continent as the commercial landscape evolves within the free trade area.
Access to larger markets within the continent can potentially scale up production and value addition processing in the region, ramping up intra-African trade and solidifying Africa’s position within global value chains.
This session aims to explore these emerging trends in agribusiness from a SwissAfrican perspective and to identify key themes and common objectives.
Attendees will be able to get to know each other through thematic sessions, the virtual exhibition area as well as bilateral networking opportunities via chat and video conferencing functions which allow for an in-depth exchange on specific projects and partnerships.
The Speakers at the event who will share their expertise during the day are:
- Linda Manda, Executive, Agribusiness, Standard Bank Corporate & Investment Banking
- Bruno Olierhoek, Chairman & Managing Director East and Southern Africa Cluster, Nestlé
- David Wherry Obrist, Director, PwC
- Nomathemba Mhlanga, Agribusiness Officer, Subregional Office for Eastern Africa, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Romain Felber, CEO, Felber & Associés / Dingila Agro-Industrial Park(Democratic Republic of the Congo)
- Hans Faessler, Chairman, Utengule Coffee Estates
- Hans Peter Werder, Founder, HPW AG
- Louis van Ravesteyn, Head Agribusiness, Standard Bank Group
- James Daffurn, Leaf Supply Chain Strategic Initiatives Director, Japan Tobacco International
- Vuc Pribic, Leaf Supply Chain Due Diligence Director - Global Supply Chain, Japan Tobacco International
- Eren Kelekci, Chief Investment Officer – Private Sector, Food & Agriculture, Textile and Forestry, African Development Bank Group